· Pureed and cooked apples appeared for the first time in British cookbooks during the 18th century, even though many early variants included pork and other meats in the sauce.
· June 6th is National Applesauce Cake Day.
· Applesauce can be a substitute for fat (butter/oil) in baking.
· One bushel of apples will make between 20-24 quarts of applesauce.
· Since it is high in pectin, applesauce is a homemade remedy to combat diarrhea.
· Astronaut John Glenn (The first American to orbit the Earth), carried applesauce in squeezable tubes on his initial space flight.
Dust off your favorite applesauce recipe or google search for something new to try. In October, we will be having an applesauce tasting contest. You are welcome to bring your special creation to share or just come and be a judge.
The competition is Tuesday, October 8th at 2:30pm. If you are interested in joining the contest, please sign up at the front desk. The winners will get an apple delicious prize.